Fire marshal: Fire at Shelton trash facility is not suspicious

The trash fire that damaged a Winter Bros. Waste Systems CT sorting/transfer facility in Shelton on Tuesday night is not considered to be suspicious in nature, according to Shelton Fire Marshal James Tortora.

The exact reason why the fire began may never be known, he said.

“There’s been no determination on how it started, and we may not be able to determine it,” Tortora said Wednesday afternoon, about 20 hours after the blaze began on Oliver Terrace.

The fire began in a pile of debris inside a large warehouse-type structure used to separate metal and wood items from discarded construction and demolition materials.

(Story continues below)

Click below to view photos of firefighting efforts at the scene:

https://sheltonherald.com/16655/more-photos-from-the-trash-fire/

https://sheltonherald.com/16613/firefighters-battle-trash-fire-in-shelton/

 

Possible causes

Tortora said possible causes include:

— spontaneous combustion (self heating and ignition of materials)

— a chemical reaction from something mixed in with the debris

— a spark from a metal item such as a nail

The damage is estimated at $50,000, according to Tortora.

 

Building empty when fire began

Tortora said operations at the facility had closed down for the day when the fire began. “They were not in the building at the time of the fire, but had been doing operations there earlier,” he said.

A Winter Bros. official said the company expects to repair the building and re-start operations there in the future. An engineer hired by the company described the structure as being “stable” and “safe” after a Wednesday morning inspection.

The structure consists of a pre-engineered steel building placed on top of a concrete foundation. It’s simplicity — no flooring, no room dividers, limited mechanicals, etc. — is one reason the damage was so limited despite the intensity of the fire.

 

 

 

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Shelton Herald, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress