The history of the Stevenson Dam uncovered in White Hills

Stevenson Dam, which is the boundary between Oxford and Monroe. It helps control the flow of water down the Housatonic to Shelton,

Stevenson Dam, which is the boundary between Oxford and Monroe. It helps control the flow of water down the Housatonic to Shelton,

In honor of its 175th year anniversary, the White Hills Cemetery Association will host a program on the history of the Stevenson Dam by local historian John Babina.

John Babina, life member of the Monroe Historical Society, will present information and early photos about the dam construction. The talk begins at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 19.

This dam was built 90 years ago, between 1917 and 1919, and was one of the largest construction projects in the northeastern United States at that time.

A complete photo history of the construction techniques in use 90 years ago will be presented, along with old views of the Housatonic Valley before it was flooded by Lake Zoar.

The presentation will include pictures showing the mix of hand labor and mule carts as well as steam-powered cranes, pile drivers and shovels that were in use during the early part of the 20th Century.

The presentation will be held at the church on School Street in Shelton. Light refreshments will be served.

About the church

The White Hills Baptist Church was built in 1839. Ferris Drew of Carmel, N.Y., who had purchased part of a farm in White Hills in 1837, provided land for the church and later additional land for a cemetery.

The church closed for regular Sunday services in 1916. Today, it is maintained by the Upper White Hills Cemetery Association and is used for community events.

Donations to the church’s preservation fund will be welcomed.

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Copyright 2018 Hearst Media Services Connecticut, LLC

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress