Students interested in attending one of the country’s five service academies are invited to join Congressman Jim Himes (D-4th) at Norwalk High School, 55 County Street, Norwalk, from 1 to 2:30, on Saturday, Sept. 10, for Academy Day.
This is an opportunity for high school students, parents, and teachers to learn about the service academies as well as college ROTC programs. There will be information on how to apply to service academies and what other opportunities there may be for those interested in military service after high school.
At the event will be congressional staff and representatives from:
- The United States Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, New York.
- The United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, Maryland.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, Connecticut.
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, New York.
- The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Eligible applicants must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday. They must also be a United States citizen and unmarried.
Applicants must be nominated by an authorized person including a Member of the United States Senate or the House of Representatives. Himes may nominate applicants who are legally living within the boundaries of Connecticut’s 4th Congressional District.
To apply for a nomination from Himes’ office, download the application packet here to start the process. The completed application is due back to his office by Oct. 4.
Interviews will be held on Oct. 25 and 26. Phone interviews are available if necessary.
Information: Michael Dunn at Michael.Dunn@mail.house.gov or 203-333-6600.