This week’s Word of the Week is, “Factor.”
- one of the elements contributing to a particular result or situation: Poverty is only one of the factors in crime.
- Mathematics. one of two or more numbers, algebraic expressions, or the like, that when multiplied together produce a given product; a divisor: 6 and 3 are factors of 18.
- Biochemistry. any of certain substances necessary to a biochemical or physiological process, especially those whose exact nature and function are unknown.
verb (used with object)
- Mathematics. to express (a mathematical quantity) as a product of two or more quantities of like kind, as 30 = 2·3·5, or x2− y
2= ( x + y) ( x − y).
- to act as a factor for.
- factor in/into, to include as an essential element, especially in forecasting or planning: You must factor insurance payments into the cost of maintaining a car.