An update for pancakes
noun: pancake; plural noun: pancakes
- a thin, flat cake of batter, usually fried and turned in a pan. Pancakes are usually eaten with syrup or rolled up with a filling.
hotcake, flapjack, griddle cake, crepe, blintz;
More: "a short stack of pancakes with maple syrup”
There is nothing like a delicious hot fluffy pancake first thing in the morning. We have such great memories of making pancakes for the kids when they were little. Joy always made a homemade mix (of course she did!!) filled with fresh blueberries, bananas, nuts and even chocolate!
I was always rushing off to some baseball or soccer practice, so I always used a prepared baking mix, which the boys loved, but now as I'm thinking back, these pancakes were loaded with sugar, and smothered in high-fructose corn syrup and not healthy at all! Ugh! We didn't know any better back then but we do now.
The recipe below is a much better choice, tastes wonderful and uses mostly organic ingredients. Add a drizzle of pure sweet maple syrup and Enjoy!
- 1¾ cup organic oat flour
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup organic vanilla almond milk
- 1½ tablespoons grassfed butter, melted
- 2 large organic eggs
- ½ pure teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- cinnamon, garnish
- pure maple syrup, garnish
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk together just until it is all blended. (Over-mixing will result in flat pancakes.) Lightly spray your hot pan with cooking spray or a swipe of coconut oil.
Use a 1/2 measuring cup to scoop the pancake batter onto the griddle or pan. Cook on each side for a few minutes until golden. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
* Taste and use a bit more if you like it sweeter. Honey is an option or even a two-inch piece of a fresh mashed banana. They freeze perfectly, so make a whole batch!
Find us on Facebook at Twins Judy & Joy.