Applications accepted for partial refund of rent, utilities

The city is accepting applications for partial refund of rent and utility bills from elderly and totally disabled renters, whose income for 2011did not exceed $32,300 if single, or $39,500 if married. The deadline to apply is in September.

The program is available to renters who were 65 years old, on or before Dec. 31, 2011, and to renters, regardless of age, who are totally disabled. An individual who receives permanent full disability benefits under Social Security, or under any federal, state or local government retirement or disability plan, including the Railroad Retirement Act, is eligible for the program.

Applicants are to present their 2011 rent receipts, utility receipts and proof of all income, including Social Security. The 2011 Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099) must be submitted. Applicants, who filed a Federal Tax Return for 2011, are requested to present a copy for verification of income. Forms can be filed preferably between 9 and noon, Tuesday through Friday, in Room 204, City Hall, until Friday, Sept. 14.

If morning hours are a hardship for an applicant, the forms can be filed in the afternoon. For more information, call the Shelton City Hall at 203-924-1555 ext. 359, and ask to speak to the renters rebate coordinator.