Applications accepted in Shelton for refund of rent and utility bills

The city of Shelton is accepting applications for partial refund of rent and utility bills from elderly and totally disabled renters, whose income for 2013 did not exceed $34,100 if single, or $41,600 if married.

The program is available to renters who were 65 years old, on or before Dec. 31, 2013, and to renters, regardless of age, who are totally disabled.

An individual who receives permanent full disability benefits under Social Security, or under any federal, state or local government retirement or disability plan, including the Railroad Retirement Act, is eligible for the program.

How to file an application

Applicants are to present their 2013 rent receipts, utility receipts and proof of all income, including Social Security. The 2013 Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099) must be submitted.

Applicants, who filed a federal tax return for 2013, are requested to present a copy for verification of income. Forms can be filed preferably from 8 a.m.-noon, Tuesday through Friday, in Room 204, City Hall, until Oct. 1.

If morning hours are a hardship for an applicant, the forms can be filed in the afternoon. For information call Shelton City Hall at 203-924-1555, ext. 359 and ask for the renter’s rebate coordinator.