2 people sent to hospital after Shelton house fire

SHELTON — A structure fire on Hawley Road sent two people to the hospital early Sunday morning, fire officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Paul Wilson said firefighters responded to a house fire about 2:40 a.m. Fire crews observed a large amount of smoke coming from the residence and determined the fire was in the basement.

“As fire suppression was taking place, other members conducted a search of the home for victims and additional fire spread,” Wilson said. “No victims were located and minor fire extension was found to the first floor. Once the fire was extinguished, an extensive overhaul was conducted to ensure there was no hidden fire in the walls or ceiling.”

Wilson said both occupants were able to evacuate the home prior to the arrival of the fire crews.

“Two occupants were in the home and were transported to the hospital for evaluation,” Wilson added.

The American Red Cross was assisting the home’s occupants, according to organization media relations specialist Jonathan Sandstrom, adding that Susan Shaw, Millie Rios and Luigi Marchese were among the responders.

“The Red Cross is also providing comfort kits containing personal care items such as toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other items a resident might need when suddenly displaced from their home by a fire,” Sandstrom said. “In addition, a recovery envelope containing information helpful to families recovering from a fire, including tips on cleanup; notification of important contacts; dealing with damaged items and more was provided.

The two people will connect with Red Cross caseworkers in the coming days to work on a longer-term recovery plan, Sandstrom said.