Fire displaces North Street family

All four Shelton fire companies, along with assistance from Monroe, doused a structure fire at 87 North St. about 11 a.m. on Jan. 3.

Fire officials stated that the blaze started in the kitchen, where the homeowner had been cooking before being momentarily distracted, leading to the start of the fire. Only one person was home at the time, and no injuries were reported.

“The homeowner had already exited the house when the units arrived,” said Huntington Fire Co. #3 Chief Francis Jones at the scene. “Once on scene, it was a quick knock down.”

Fire Marshal James Tortora said that more than 25 firefighters were on hand and quickly extinguished the blaze. But the kitchen suffered significant damage, with the upper floors having major smoke damage — making the home unlivable at this time. Tortora said that the American Red Cross has been notified and will be assisting the family.

Firefighters battle a blaze at 87 North Ave. on Thursday, Jan. 3. — Photo courtesy of James Tortora