GAS LEAK PHOTOS: ‘It is a good thing we have wind today so (the gas) does not hang’
Contractors working alongside Bridgeport Avenue apparently caused a gas line break this morning, leading to an emergency response.
A back hoe apparently broke a natural gas line, causing gas to spread continuously through the air. An odor of gas was noticeable in the immediate area.
The emergency call was received at 10:38 a.m., and Shelton police and fire crews responded to the incident in front of Duchess restaurant at 883 Bridgeport Ave.
Duchess was evacuated as a precautionary move, and traffic moving in both directions on Bridgeport Avenue was turned away.
The impacted site is across the street from the Shelton Square shopping center, with the Stop & Shop supermarket and gas station, and Burger King.
Gas crews arrive, road reopens
Yankee Gas crews came to the scene and fixed the break, and the road reopened at about 11:40 a.m.
The Stop & Shop gas station was permitted to keep pumping fuel, and a woman looking on and smoking a cigarette was yelled at by a firefighter to put out the cigarette.
Hersam Acorn Newspaper Editors Greg Reilly and Brad Durrell contributed to this article.