In this week's Herald
Here are some of the stories and features in this week’s Herald, out today:
• UI has plans to build a $38-million substation on Old Stratford Road in Shelton. A public hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
• Stop & Shop gas station on Bridgeport Avenue have been approved by Planning and Zoning Commission.
• Photos from last Wednesday’s Canal Street fire, taken by volunteer firefighter, John Scollin.
• State Police offer a reward for information on intentionally-set brush fires.
• Police news
• Benefit planned for to remember Sandy Hook victims.
• New kindergarten registration info. and more student news.
• Sen. Kelly sworn in for second term.
• In Opinion: Gioiello talks about lessons learned in 2012, Team, Inc. thanks the community and Pisani’s “Downton Abbey Italian Wedding.”
• Written Words relocating to River Road.
• Have you seen Vinny? Owner is looking for lost cat.
• Find local happenings in Library News and Spotlight.
• In Sports: Gaelettes, Burke slam Wilbur Cross in basketball, Pop Warner names directors for upcoming season and more.
• See our social news for a engagement announcement and a Shelton resident part of “Old Timer’s Night.”
In this week’s Section B:
• Our Home section features a local couple who have started their own business selling new and old light fixtures, furniture and more.
• Ever wonder if you should replace or just fix your garage door?
• A professional organizer will be giving tips in a special presentation this month.
• Tips to buy the right firewood for you, homes on six-acres of land and a family-owned store moves to Monroe.
• In Arts, artist Colleen Browning is rediscovered with two new shows. Her paintings include “East Harlem Street Scene.”
• A recipe to make chicken stock.
• The Rod Stewart Experience is going to be in Bridgeport.
• Calendar of events, a review on the Kia Sorento SX and more.