Indian Well closed to swimmers
DEEP officials have announced the closing of five state park beaches to swimmers on Tuesday due to bacteria being present in the water.
The following state parks are closed due to the water quality:
– Indian Well State Park in Shelton
– Silver Sands State Park in Milford
– Kettletown State Park in Southbury
– Wadsworth Falls State Park in Middlefield
– Wharton Brook State Park in Wallingford
DEEP explains that indicator bacteria are not disease causing pathogens but tools used to evaluate the potential for contamination of water-bodies.
The water quality of state parks is tested by DEEP to ensure it’s safe for swimming. The samples are collected and then analyzed at the Department of Public Health Lab. Municipal swimming areas are sampled by local health departments.