Mattress catches fire from cigarette in Shelton home

Shelton firefighters responded to a mattress fire at a home at 9 Blueberry Lane late this morning, Monday, Jan. 27.

The fire involved a mattress in a bedroom and was caused by someone falling asleep with a lit cigarette, according to Shelton Fire Marshal James Tortora.

No one was hurt in the incident, and damage was limited. Firefighters were dispatched at about 11:30 a.m.

Tortora said an occupant feel asleep on the bed with a cigarette, and was awakened by smoke in the bedroom.

The occupant tried to put out the small fire himself, then an alarm went off in the house that notified emergency responders to the situation. Firefighters soon responded to the scene.

Blueberry Lane is a residential road in Shelton’s Huntington section off Huntington Street. It is located not too far from the Huntington Fire Company firehouse on the Green.