UPDATE: Shelton fire victim has died

The man pulled unconscious from an early evening fire at 593 Howe Ave. on Wednesday night died from his injuries this morning, Jan. 23.

The 52-year-old man’s passing was confirmed by a Bridgeport Hospital spokesman today.

Shelton firefighters carried the man from the first-floor apartment and he was treated by EMS personnel, who were at the scene, and immediately taken to the hospital.

He was suffering from serious burn and smoke injuries, according to firefighters.

The man succumbed to the injuries earlier this morning, a hospital spokesman said at 10 a.m. today.

Four other people were evacuated to safety from a second-floor apartment with the assistance of Shelton volunteer firefighter Chris Jones, who first spotted the fire when he was in the area.