And the Thanksgiving Day Road Race winner is....
Tim Milenkevich of Ansonia captured his second straight Commodore Hull Thanksgiving Day 5K Road Race with a fast time of 16 minutes flat, on a cold and blustery day on the streets of downtown Shelton and Derby.
Milenkevich broke away from a pack of four runners at about the 1 mile mark and held the lead the rest of the way (a 5-kilometer race is 3.1 miles long). Runner-up Bobby Giuliani stayed close behind until the very end, when Milenkevich opened his final margin of victory of 11 seconds.
Emily McNeil of Shelton became the first new Women’s Division winner in seven years with a time of 19:24, which was more than a minute ahead of second place finisher Alicia Trudeau of Seymour.
Overall, a record number of 648 runners completed the race in the frigid and windy weather.
Proceeds from the race are donated to the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley. Prior to this year’s proceeds, more than $110,000 has been raised for the local Boys & Girls Club by the race.
Top 20 finishers
Here are the race’s top 20 finishers, with hometown and time:
1. Timothy Milenkevich, Ansonia,16:00
2. Bobby Giuliani, Shelton, 16:11
3. Tom Saksa, Seymour, 16:39
4. Mike Padilla, Shelton, 16:47
5. Kevin Saksa, Seymour, 17:30
6. Christopher Miko, New Carlisle, Indiana, 17:35
7. James Mas, Shelton, 17:44
8. John Karpinski, Shelton, 17:59
9. Jonathan Bauer, Southbury, 18:11
10. Sam Nadal, Derby, 18:11
11. Damir Poric, Derby, 18:25
12. Joe Poulsen, Oxford, 18:28
13. John Hunter, Shelton, 18:43
14. Chase Arsenault, Shelton, 18:53
15. George Buchanan, Shelton, 18:56
16. Mark Andrejczyk, Shelton, 19:11
17. Stuart Sporko, Waterbury, 19:14
18. Steven Stanley, Derby, 19:23
19. Emily McNeil, Shelton, 19:24
20. James Mas, Shelton, 19:31
Top female finishers
Here are the race’s top female finishers, with hometown and time:
1. Emily McNeil, Shelton, 19:24
2. Alicia Trudeau, Seymour, 20:40
3. Lauren Flament, Shelton, 20:55