Calling for turkeys in the Lower Naugatuck Valley
The Spooner House annual frozen turkey and fixings drive will feature a variety of locations to drop of donations from now through late November to help families in need.
Smile Dental Center owner, Dr. Bruce Sofferman, along with his wife Deborah and their daughter Sophia, will be wearing traditional Pilgrim and Native American Thanksgiving costumes. They will be joined by a turkey mascot as they attempt to flag down drivers to drop off turkeys and fixings from 7 to 10 a.m. in Oxford on Weds. Nov. 20. at 318 Oxford Road (Route 67) and again on Thurs. Nov. 21 from 7 to 10 a.m. at a to be announced location in Shelton/Derby.
Dr. Sofferman’s Smile Dental Centers at 318 Oxford Road in Oxford and 61 Elizabeth Street in Derby will also be collecting frozen turkeys and fixings all week during regular business hours Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 18-22.
Locations and Holiday Food Drive events this year include the Huntington Hose Fire Co., working with Girl Scout Troop 64146 in Shelton, the Frank Hoinsky Real Estate Operation Stuff a Bus Holiday Food Drive in Ansonia, Seybridge Pharmacy in Seymour and the Boy Scouts Scouting for Food program, the Shelton High School basketball clinic at Shelton Intermediate School, as well as continuing the tradition for the Seymour Middle School 8th Grade Gold Team frozen turkey drive. See details below for a detailed listing of locations by date.
More people than ever in the lower Naugatuck Valley are in need of support to obtain all the ingredients necessary for satisfying holiday meals, so Spooner House is asking everyone to be as generous as possible.
“More than 6,000 individuals have been served by the Food Bank this past year, comprising over 153,000 meals, 92,000 more than just four years ago when 61,000 meals were served,” said Susan Agamy, executive director of the Spooner House. “Our supplies are always put under pressure during the holiday months as colder weather and varying temperatures impact our client base. This year we are continuing the expansion of our Operation Holiday Food Drives to encompass more organizations reaching out to assist us in meeting client needs.”
A list of specific food items may be found at www.actspooner.org. Items needed include instant potatoes, gravy, stuffing mix, coffee, pie filling, pie crust and more.
If these dates and times are not convenient, you may also drop food items at the Spooner House, 30 Todd Road in Shelton, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 1 to 5 p.m. Contact: email@example.com or 203-225-0453.
• Boy Scouts Scouting for Food — pick up of bags delivered to doors on Nov. 2, will be picked up Saturday, Nov. 9.
• Huntington Hose Fire Co. & Girl Scout Troop 64146 — Holiday Fixings and Baskets Food Drive, Saturday, Nov. 16, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., 44 Church St., Shelton.
• Seybridge Pharmacy, 37 New Haven Rd., Seymour, Monday – Sunday, Nov. 5 – 11.
• Smile Dental Centers — Monday – Friday, Nov. 18 – 22 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., 318 Oxford Road (Route 67) in Oxford and 61 Elizabeth Street in Derby. They will be collecting frozen turkeys during this time.
• Shelton High School Basketball Team Clinic, Saturday, Nov 23. Special fundraiser at the Shelton Intermediate School, drop off a holiday donation of food or cash in the can to help Operation Holiday, and shoot some hoops for free as the basketball season gets into full swing. Shelton Intermediate School, Constitution Blvd. in Shelton
• Seymour Middle School and Chatfield-Lopresti School will both accepting only frozen turkeys — no food — Saturday, Nov. 23, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
HOLIDAY BASKET LIST
(for those wanting to purchase entire baskets. Locations will accept one or all items)
1 box Instant potatoes
2 Packages of Gravy
1 box/or bag Stuffing mix
4 cans vegetables any choice Corn/peas/asparagus/ yams/carrots
1 can cranberry sauce
Pie crust mix
Pie filling, choice
1 jar Pickles
2 cans Olives
1 can evaporated milk
Powdered juice mix
Canned fruit: mixed fruit, peaches, fruit cocktail, pineapple
Extras: napkins, sugar, brownie mix, corn bread mix