Cancer group sponsors youth T-shirt design contest in Fairfield County
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is seeking local middle and high school students to participate in its first T-shirt design contest.
The winner of the contest will have their design printed on the back of the children’s T-shirts at the annual Fairfield County Race for the Cure, scheduled this year for Saturday, May 10 at Veterans Park in Norwalk.
Contest submission deadline is March 17. The submitted T-shirt designs will be posted on the organization's Facebook page as well as displayed in the children’s area at Veterans Park on event day.
'Reaching out to children'
"Reaching out to children through our T-shirt design contest is a great way to teach children about helping the community as well as encourage artistic creativity," said Anne Morris, CEO of Komen Connecticut.
Each year, Komen Connecticut plans several activities for children to do on race day, including a Kids Fun Run, face painting, and arts and crafts.
To participate in the contest, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-321-7806.
Raises about $1 million a year
During the past four years, Komen Connecticut has distributed about $1 million annually in community grants to local organizations providing life-saving services for women in need across the state, including Bridgeport Hospital and St. Vincent’s Medical Center.
About 75% of Komen Connecticut’s net proceeds support breast cancer programs in Connecticut and the remaining 25% is invested in research to find the causes and cures for the disease. Learn more at Komenct.org.
Hersam Acorn, publisher of the Shelton Herald, is a sponsor of the Fairfield County Race for a Cure.