On Oct. 10 at 12:04 p.m. the Echo Hose Co. #1 and the Pine Rock Co. #4 responded to the Ripton Housing Complex at #423 Howe Avenue for a person stuck in an elevator. One engine responded.
On Oct. 10 at 3:06 p.m. the Echo Hose Co. #1 and the Pine Rock Co. #4 responded to a house fire at #42 Sharon Drive. Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in the attic space of the single family home. Firefighters had the fire under control within 20 minutes of arrival but remained on the scene for several hours to conduct overhaul operations. Although Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the attic area, the remainder of the home and its contents sustained extensive fire, smoke and water damage. The attic space contents and roof support members also sustained extensive damage. An investigation by the Fire Marshal determined the fire originated in a second floor bathroom and the cause was a malfunction in the bathroom’s ceiling exhaust and lighting fixture. The fire then spread to the attic space before being discovered by the occupants who then fled safely from the home after calling the fire department. One firefighter sustained minor injuries when he fell from an interior attic access stair. Two engines, one rescue truck and one ladder truck responded.