Practical Money Advice: How to replace important documents

If your wallet has ever been lost or stolen, you know what a pain it is to replace your driver's license. That goes double when other vital documents — such as your passport, birth certificate or car registration — are misplaced or destroyed in a natural disaster.

Without the proper ID, you can't start a new job, buy a house, apply for insurance or a host of other common transactions.

Here's a guide on how to get copies or replacements for many common documents:

Birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates

These records come from the states where the events occurred. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a handy directory that provides links to the appropriate agencies in all U.S. states and territories, including costs and mailing instructions (


Immediately report lost or stolen passports to the U.S. State Department by calling 877-487-2778. If it happens overseas, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Visit for further instructions.

Driver's license, car registration

To learn how to replace your driver's license, vehicle registration or car title (which you'll need to transfer ownership), or to access other motor vehicle services, contact your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. Go to for links to each state's DMV.

Social Security card

These days, you may not actually need to replace a misplaced Social Security card. If you know your Social Security number, you generally can still collect Social Security benefits, get a job, and apply for government benefits and services. However, if you do want to replace the card, you'll need to gather documents proving your identity and citizenship and complete an application (; then mail or take the paperwork to your local Social Security office.

Military service records

Veterans often need copies of their military service records to apply for government programs, including health care, retirement or education benefits. You can apply to the National Archives ( for a copy of your records (or an immediate family member's if deceased). The site also has information on replacing lost military medals and awards.

Green card

If your U.S. Permanent Resident (Green) Card is lost, stolen or damaged, or if your name or other important information has legally changed since it was issued, you may request a new card from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by filing Form I-90 (available at If you're outside the United States and lose your green card, contact the nearest U.S. consulate or USCIS office before applying online for a new card.

Medicare card

To replace a lost, stolen or damaged Medicare card, follow the procedures at To replace a Medicaid card, contact Medicaid (

Tax returns

If you need exact copies of previously filed and processed tax returns (including attachments), you may order them from the IRS by submitting IRS Form 4506 (at There is a $57 fee for each year's return you request. Before ordering an exact copy, however, ask whether a "tax return transcript" or "tax account transcript" will suffice. These abbreviated printouts of returns are often acceptable substitutes for student loan and mortgage lenders and are free. To order transcripts, go to

School transcripts

If you need to order high school or college transcripts, it's best to contact the school's registrar or student services office directly for instructions. (Some websites that claim they can expedite the process have proven unreliable.)

For even more suggestions, see "Replace Your Vital Documents" at

Jason Alderman directs Visa's financial education programs. Follow him on Twitter at