Rental rebates available to elderly and disabled in Shelton

The city of Shelton is accepting applications for partial refund of rent and utility bills from elderly and totally disabled renters, whose income for 2012 didn’t exceed $33,500 if single, or $40,900 if married.

The program is available to renters who were age 65 or older on Dec. 31, 2012, and to renters, regardless of age, who are totally disabled.

An individual who receives permanent full disability benefits under Social Security, or under any federal, state or local government retirement or disability plan, including the Railroad Retirement Act, is eligible for the program.

Applicants should present their 2012 rent receipts, utility receipts and proof of all income, including Social Security. The 2012 Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099) must be submitted.

Applicants who filed a 2012 federal tax return are requested to present a copy for verification of income.

Forms can be filed Tuesday through Friday in Shelton City Hall’s Room 104, through Oct. 1 of this year — preferably from 9 a.m. to noon. If morning hours are a hardship for an applicant, the forms can be filed in the afternoon.

For information, call Shelton City Hall at 203-924-1555, ext. 359 and ask to speak to the “renters rebate coordinator.”