Fire chief: Sprinkler system activated in Latex industrial dryer
An emergency sprinkler was activated inside an industrial dryer oven tonight at the Latex Foam factory on River Road (Route 110).
“It is unclear what activated [the sprinkler],” Shelton Fire Chief Fran Jones said at about 8:45 p.m., about an hour after fire personnel rushed to the scene on Thursday, Aug. 14.
(Story continues below)
See more photos from the latest fire response at Latex Foam factory:
Jones said the dryer had been running at the time of the incident, “but there was product in it."
“There was no smoke or fire when [firefighting] units arrived,” he said.
The dryer is used to dry mattresses in the manufacturing process at the factory.
Jones said the Shelton fire marshal’s office will look into what happened, which is the third time Shelton firefighters have responded to the sprawling factory complex in the past few months.
The large industrial dryer is located in the basement, and the first fire that caused some damage to the building started in such a basement dryer.
Latex Foam maintenance and administrative personnel were at the scene Thursday evening, Jones said, and sprinkler company representatives were expected to work on the sprinkler system so the factory could presume production activities.
“They should be good to go back to work,” Jones said.