Fire crews should remain at trash facility site all night

Up to 60 firefighters battled a stubborn fire in a trash transfer facility in Shelton on Tuesday evening.

“It’s one of those fires that is hard to get out because it’s in a pile of debris,” said Nick Verdicchio, spokesman for the Shelton Fire Department.

Verdicchio said as of about 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday, “the bulk of the fire is out. There are some hot spots we’re wetting down. We’re pulling out debris. We’ll have crews there all night — on standby for hot spots and flare-ups.”

(Story continues below)

View more photos from the scene:

Read more about firefighting efforts:

Demolition debris, wood

Verdicchio was among the many Shelton firefighters who responded to the scene to battle the blaze at the Winter Bros. Waste Systems CT facility at 46 Oliver Terrace. The building that caught fire is used mostly for demolition and construction debris, including wood.

“The building suffered extensive damage,” Verdicchio said. “We had to pull apart several walls. It got so hot we were concerned about the building holding up.”

Four minor injuries to firefighters

Four firefighters suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene, said Verdicchio, who is assistant chief of the Pine Rock Park Company. Three firefighters needed help due to exertion and heat, and one due to an elbow injury.

In addition to Pine Rock, firefighters from Shelton’s Echo Hose and Huntington companies as well as Derby fought the blaze. White Hills provided citywide coverage while the other departments’ firefighters were at the scene.

Shelton Fire Marshal James Tortora is investigating the cause of the fire.

Call for help came in at 5:12 p.m.

Verdicchio said the 9-1-1 call came in at 5:12 p.m., and he believes it was from an employee of Winter Bros. The trash transfer facility had closed for the day (it closes at 4 p.m. on weekdays, according to a sign on the building) but some employees were in the area, and he thinks one of them noticed smoke and called for emergency assistance.

It took 60 to 90 minutes to get the fire under control, Verdicchio said, but debris then continued to burn in a somewhat contained way inside the building.

The building is a large, square-shaped steel structure. Oliver Terrace is an industrial area off Platt Road, near Bridgeport Avenue.