Firefighters put out kitchen fire at Shelton duplex

Shelton firefighters responded this afternoon to a kitchen fire at a home on Park Street, off Howe Avenue. (Photos by Brad Durrell)

Fire Chief Fran Jones said volunteer firefighters from Echo Hose Company No. 2 arriving on the scene around 1 p.m. found a stove fire that had expanded into the nearby kitchen cabinets. Jones said the fire was quickly “knocked down” and contained.

By 1:15 or so, the fire had been put out but multiple fire personnel and pieces of equipment, as well as ambulance crews, were at the scene. At that time, firefighters could be observed going in and out of the affected residential unit from a side or back entrance.

The fire took place inside 55 Park St., part of a duplex with 53 Park St.

Two women had been inside the unit when the fire occurred but were able to escape with no injuries, Jones said. Fire officials were talking to the women at the scene at about 1:20.

Likely can still be occupied

Jones said he expects the residence can be re-occupied immediately.

It is a white-colored three-story duplex, including the two ground-floor entrances and garages. The unit where the fire occurred is on the left when looking at the structure from the street.

Windows on the second floor of the unit had been opened, apparently to air out the smoke.

By 1:35, some emergency crews began leaving the scene but others remained.

Park Street is a hilly residential street that runs between Howe Avenue and Hillside Avenue (off Coram Avenue), slightly south of downtown and Route 8.