Sharon Scanlon forgery case continued in court

The next court appearance for former Shelton Assistant Finance Director Sharon Scanlon, who is accused of stealing $914,000 in city money over a decade, will be Wednesday, Aug. 28 in Milford state Superior Court.

Her case was briefly discussed during a scheduled pre-trial hearing in Milford court  on the morning of July 17, with the actual hearing being delayed.

A prosecutor told Superior Court Judge Frank Iannotti that the next date all parties would be available is Aug. 28. Neither Scanlon nor her attorney, William Dow III, were present in court.

Continuances in court cases before a trial might begin are common.

Many first-degree forgery counts

Scanlon has pleaded not guilty to first-degree larceny and 56 counts of first-degree forgery, all felonies. She has requested a jury trial.

The Shelton resident, who was born in 1964, turned herself in to State Police on Jan. 23. Scanlon’s bond was $100,000.

Canceled check found on desk

According to the affidavit, in June 2012, two clerks in the city finance office discovered a canceled check in the amount of $7,825 on Scanlon’s desk. The clerks researched the check, finding it was made out to “Sharon Scanlon” but listed as voided, law enforcement officials said.

They did more research regarding the alleged fraud and turned the information over to city officials.

The investigation alleges that money was stolen from 2001 to July 2012, but the specific counts against Scanlon date back only to February 2008. State Police have said that Scanlon “drafted fraudulent checks from the Shelton City Hall and deposited those fraudulent checks into her personal checking account via ATM at selected locations, over a 10-year period.”

During the course of the investigation, authorities searched the city finance office as well as Scanlon’s home.

City seeking restitution

The city is seeking restitution by filing a lawsuit against Scanlon — who served in her city position for 17 years — and placing a lien against her Crescent Drive home.

Mayor Mark Lauretti has said changes have been made in the city Finance Department in an effort to prevent a similar incident. “The whole thing is very unfortunate and very disappointing,” Lauretti has said.