Shelton man gets almost six years in jail for dealing heroin

A Shelton man has been sentenced to almost six years in prison for being part of a large heroin dealing operation.

Jermaine Buchanan, also known as “Hot Main,” 20, was sentenced to 70 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release, for distributing heroin.

Buchanan was sentenced March 10 by Chief U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall in New Haven federal court.

Had ‘his own customer base’

According to court documents and statements made in court, in early 2012, law enforcement officials began an investigation into narcotics trafficking and violent criminal activity in and around the Trumbull Gardens public housing complex in Bridgeport.

The investigation revealed that Ronell Hanks, also known as “Biz” and “Ace,” headed an organization that sold heroin, cocaine and crack cocaine 24 hours a day, seven days a week, federal prosecutors said.

Buchanan, the Shelton resident, received heroin from Hanks and sold the drug to his own customer base, according to prosecutors.

Law enforcement agencies involved in the investigation were the FBI Bridgeport Safe Streets Task Force, Bridgeport Police Department, and Connecticut State Police Statewide Narcotics Task Force.

Seized: Heroin, guns, cash, cars

During the course of the investigation, police seized approximately one kilogram of heroin, one-half kilogram of crack cocaine, about $100,000 in cash, three vehicles, jewelry, nine firearms, and more than 200 rounds of ammunition.

Buchanan was arrested Dec. 5, 2013. Prosecutors said at the time of his arrest, a search of his residence turned up a Glock 26 handgun, an empty magazine for another firearm, a quantity of heroin packaged for distribution, and five mobile phones.

On Dec. 18, 2013, a grand jury in Bridgeport returned an indictment charging Buchanan, Hanks and 12 other individuals with narcotics and firearms trafficking offenses.

In custody since late 2013

Buchanan has been detained since his arrest in December 2013. Last August, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute and to possess with intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin.

His sentence is for five years and 10 months in federal prison.

Hanks also pleaded guilty and, on Feb. 26 of this year, he was sentenced to 17 years of imprisonment.

Working on the case

The case is being investigated by the FBI’s Bridgeport Safe Streets Task Force, in coordination with the Bridgeport Police Department, Trumbull Police Department and Connecticut State Police Statewide Narcotics Task Force.

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as the Fairfield Judicial District State’s Attorney’s Office, are assisting the investigation and prosecution.

The legal case is being prosecuted by Asst. U.S. Attorneys Tracy Lee Dayton and Rahul Kale from the U.S. Attorney's Office for Connecticut.