State troopers prepare for Thanksgiving holiday travel
Beginning Nov. 22, 2017 at 00:01 a.m. and running through Nov. 26, 2017 at 11:59 p.m., Connecticut State Police will supplement its normal routine patrol personnel with additional Troopers throughout the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Across the state, Troopers will patrol roads and highways across Connecticut, and will focus on aggressive drivers, unsafe drivers, and drunk drivers.
Troopers are committed to reducing crashes through preventive enforcement initiatives such as roving DUI patrols.
Troopers will also be looking for violators who cause accidents on Connecticut roads and highways. Every effort to reduce accidents will be taken; however, Connecticut residents are asked to be a part of the public safety solution by obeying traffic laws: don’t follow too close, drive the speed limit, stay off your cell phone while driving and, if you drink, then please do not drive.
Residents should remind all young people, especially college students returning home for the holiday weekend, of the laws regarding alcohol consumption and drinking and driving.
Patrol troopers will use traditional and non-traditional patrol cars to observe traffic and issue tickets to reckless and distracted drivers. A reminder to all drivers: anyone who is consuming alcohol should never get behind the wheel. If you see a suspected drunk driver, call 911, this is a true emergency.
Troop G — Bridgeport
- Wednesday, Nov. 22: I-95, I-91 and Route 34 in the greater New Haven area.
- Friday, Nov. 24: I-95, Route 8 and Route 25 in the Bridgeport, Stratford, Trumbull area.
- Saturday, Nov. 25: I-95 in the Stamford, Norwalk, Greenwich area, and Route 7 in the Norwalk area.
- Sunday, Nov. 26: Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) from New York State Line to the Sikorsky Bridge.
Troop H — Hartford
- Wednesday, Nov. 22, to Sunday, Nov. 26: DUI/Sobriety Roving patrols during the late evening hours to early morning hours on I-84, I-91, Route 384, Route 291, Route 2 and Route 9.
Troop I — Bethany
- Wednesday, Nov. 22 to Sunday, Nov. 26: DUI/Sobriety Roving patrols during the late evening hours to early morning hours on Route 15 in the North Haven area, I-91 in the North Haven area, I-691 in Meriden and Route 8 in the Shelton area.
- Friday, Nov. 24: Troop I will conduct a spot check on I-91 in the area of Exit 6 in New Haven. The spot check will be conducted between 6 p.m. and 2 a.m.
These 2016 State Police stats cover the time period starting at midnight on Nov. 23, 2016 to Nov. 27, 2016, 9 a.m.:
- Speeding violations: 896
- Seatbelt violations: 311
- Other hazardous violations: 2,503 (to include unsafe lane change, following too closely, cell phone usage, texting, failure to signal, etc.)
- DUI arrests: 51
- Accidents investigated: 392
- With/injury: 42
- Fatality: 1