Shelton Fire Department officials would like to spread awareness about how to prevent pets from starting home fires and how to keep pets safe in the event of an emergency. Home fires are occasionally caused by pets. Shelton experienced a home fire several years ago that is believed to have been caused by a dog left home alone. It appears the dog accidentally hit the stove knob and turned on a gas burner that was under a cake pan. Once ignited, the fire spread to the kitchen cabinets. In addition to the home suffering significant fire damage, the dog and other pets in the home perished in the incident. Avoiding a problem Ted Pisciotta, Shelton assistant chief for fire prevention, said measures can be taken to prevent fire risk from pets, such as using flameless candles and safeguarding stove knobs. Pisciotta offered the following recommendations: Extinguish open flames:\u00a0 Pets are generally curious and may investigate cooking appliances, candles, or flames and ashes in a fireplace. People should ensure their pet is not left unattended near an open flame and make sure to thoroughly extinguish any open flame before leaving their home. Secure stove knobs:\u00a0 Consider protecting knobs with child-safe covers or removing knobs following use. Invest in flameless candles:\u00a0 These candles contain a light and small battery, rather than an open flame, and take the danger out of a pet knocking over a candle. Pet proof the home:\u00a0 Take a walk around a home and look for areas where pets might start fires inadvertently. Pay particular attention to items a pet could knock or pull over, such as lamps, space heaters, candles, etc. Create barriers from hazards:\u00a0 Keep pets confined away from potential fire-starting hazards, such as the kitchen stove, when away from home. A barrier could include baby gates. While providing barriers to keep pets away from hazards, maintain access to exterior doors when away from home in case of an emergency. Smoke alarms, 9-1-1, home escape plan Also, have working smoke alarms installed on every level of a home, test them monthly, and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times. Make sure everyone in a household knows when and how to call for help by dialing 9-1-1, and remember to practice a home escape plan.