From hot messes to ugly sweaters, Shelton High celebrates
Shelton High School was filled with spirit this week by putting on their ugliest sweaters, dressed in white and built gingerbread houses.
The DECA club at SHS sponsored a Winter Spirit Week Dec. 16-20. On Monday students and staff adorned their favorite team attire for MVP’s Merry Monday.
A snow day hampered Seasonal Scarf Tuesday, but the 90-minute delay did not hamper White Out Wednesday, as students and staff dressed in white clothes.
Candy Cane Thursday had red and white attire throughout the building. The week concluded with Ugly Sweater Friday. The highlight of the week was Gingerbread Wars sponsored by the SHS National Honor Society.
Staff and students formed teams, paid an entry fee and were provided with a Gingerbread House kit. Most teams decided on themes and bought extra items to decorate their houses. Teams had two hours to create their final product, which were then brought to the SHS main lobby for display and judging.
Awards were given for the following categories:
• Hot Mess — “Wiley Warriors Fortress” (Austin Kothary, Austin Forlenzo, Dylan Smith, Brett Peterson)
• Best Theme — “Gulliver’s Travels Gingerbread Style” (Mrs. Clifford, Mrs. DeVonshuk)
• Most Creative — “Wilson’s Wanderlust” (Erica Capristo, Michelle Kellett, Meghan Brennan, Mrs. Wilson)
• Best Non-Edible — “Gingerbread Boombox” (Mike Lynders, Joseph Niski, Kevin Sala, Max Wang, Sarah Stuart)
• Best Overall — “Candyland” (Julie Jarzynski, Anna May, Victoria Casinelli, Laura Ferris).