Catherine E. “Betty” McDermott Collins, 87, of Regency House in Wallingford, formerly of North Haven and Shelton, died January 22, 2013 at MidState Medical Center.

Betty was born in Boston, MA on August 31, 1925, daughter of the late Joseph W. and Catherine Galvin McDermott. She resided in West Roxbury MA for many years, graduating from Boston Girls Latin School.

In 1947 Betty was wed to John A Collins Jr, with whom she had three children Patricia, John and Michael. The family moved from MA to CT in 1960, residing first in Stratford and then in the Huntington section of Shelton.

Betty resided in Shelton for almost thirty years and was a faithful parishioner of St. Lawrence Church. She was involved in many activities within the community and at the Brownson Country Club. Betty was employed for several years by the former DM Read Company and by Macys as a Clinique cosmetician.

Betty is survived by her children, Patricia Collins Ierardi (Joseph), John A. Collins III (Kate Phelan) and Michael J. Collins (Nicole) She is also survived by her grandchildren, James J. Hlavacek, Jr, Scott M. Hlavacek (Danielle), Sean P Collins, Elizabeth A. Collins, Patrick J. Collins, Payton E. Collins and Emerson G. Collins, and her great-grandchildren, Emma J. Hlavacek, Colin G. Hlavacek. and Mikayla R Hlavacek, and her sister-in-law, Margaret G. McDermott, and her nephew, Joseph McDermott. She was predeceased by her former spouse, John A. Collins Jr and her brother, Robert F. McDermott.

Her family will receive relatives and friends in The Wallingford Funeral Home, 809 N. Main St. Ext., Wallingford, on Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday, January 28, 2013, at 10 a.m. directly at the Church of the Resurrection, 115 Pond Hill Rd., Wallingford. Interment will be held at a later date in Lawn Cemetery in Shelton.

Gifts in her memory may be sent to the St. Martin de Porres Academy, 208 Columbus Ave. New Haven, CT 06519, a faith-based, Nativity Miguel middle school for underserved girls and boys in the New Haven area.