Booters rally to win

After a slow first half start and trailing 1-0 early in the second half, the Shelton High boys soccer team responded with six unanswered goals to defeat the Wilbur Cross Governors, 6-1, at Rice Field in New Haven on Wednesday.

CoachJoe D’Auria’s Gaels finished the regular season at 7-5-4.

Matt Brouillette led the way with two goals, while senior Philip Ashcroft and junior Matt Manzo each added a goal and an assist.

Captains Joe Stein and Dan Lisi also scored for Shelton.

Denis DaSilva, Guitierres DeSouza and Craig Foley added assists on the afternoon.

Elhadj Kourouma scored the lone goal for Wilbur Cross, as Shelton keeper Claudio Labello made xxxx saves.

The Gaels started slowly, taking shots at Cross keeper Jermaine Aberdeen while Kourouma, Milton Calderon and Faustin Muhire attacked Labello for Shelton.

The first half was tightly-contested, taking the game into the half at null-null.

The first minute of the second half was nightmarish for the Gaels, as Kourouma sliced through Shelton’s 4-4-2 formation for a goal.

“We made an adjustment at the half,” D’Auria said.  “When we started the game we had our center back at the defensive center-mid position and we had only one forward.

“At halftime, we made a tweak, a standard 4-4-2 and they came right through and scored.

“At that time I wanted to get a little more offensive so once they buckled down we started moving the ball around.”

The Gaels answered to the tune of six unanswered goals, starting when Foley found Lisi to left of the net to punch in the game-tying goal.

Minutes later, the Gaels scored off a corner from DeSouza whose kick found Brouillette at the left of the net to give Shelton the lead.

The Gaels added another when Manzo sent in the corner and DeSouza headed it in to make it a 3-1 game.

“Matt Brouilette is one of our key guys on the outside mid and Matt Manzo in the center mid, he’s our engine, he makes us go so they’re a big key to our success and hopefully they can keep it going,” D’Auria said.

Shelton next goal came when on a penalty kick, Manzo launched a high arcing shot to the upper left corner for the score.

Later, Ashcroft scored on an kick that caught the right corner of the net to make it 5-1 Shelton.

Stein put the icing on the cake for the Gaels when DaSilva and Ashcroft found him in front of the net, where he knocked it past Aberdeen to secure the 6-1 win.